A Year in Nonfiction


As part of Nonfiction November, I'm looking back over at all of the non-fiction I've read so far this year... and hot damn, has it been a good year of nonfiction picks. So far this year, I've read 33 non-fiction books (up from 25 total in 2014 and only 16 in 2013). In large part, this has been a shift in my review books--and the product of a lot of really incredible non-fiction books coming out recently.

It's always hard to pick just one favorite from a stack of books as diverse as my 33 non-fiction books, so instead I'll highlight a few that really stuck out to me:


In the realm of self-help and business books, I finally (finally!) got around to reading Getting Things Done, the productivity classic by David Allen. It definitely changed much of how I approach my business productivity and I'm likely due for a re-read to try to implement some of these changes in my personal life. I also read (and enjoyed!) Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown (can't wait to get to her new book!) and SuperBetter, both of which tackle self help and mental health in very different ways but in ways that resonated with me.

As a history nerd, I was beyond thrilled to see a new Sarah Vowell book out this year--Lafayette in the (Somewhat) United States is just as excellent as her past works. Plus I love studies of the American Revolution, so bonus points there. One Nation Under God, by Kevin Kruse, is a must-read in this time of religion-saturated political campaigning; and Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County, by Kristen Green, is a fascinating look at a shameful (and unknown-to-me) period of American history. Oh--and The Underground Girls of Kabul is not to be missed, covering not only the little-known history of girls being dressed as boys in Afghanistan, but proving a fascinating study of gender roles in one country and beyond.

And last--but certainly not least--though I am not a huge fan of memoirs in general, there are some exceptional ones that have stood out among many great others this year: Hammer Head, Nina Maclaughlin's story of becoming a carpenter's apprentice after questioning her career goals; and The Dead Ladies Project, by Jessa Crispin, which is one of my favorite books of year.

---

What are the best non-fiction books you've read this year?


No comments

Thanks for stopping by!