Discovered: New Titles Found at BEA

I left Book Expo this year with just 10 galleys, for which my shoulders and back (and feet, for that matter) are eternally grateful. Even with that limited supply, I still found some new gems and discovered some authors I'd never heard of...


The Wilds: Stories, by Julia Elliott (Tin House, October 14th): Tin House never fails to disappoint with new, interesting titles (they were one of my favorite booths of 2013), and this year was no different. When I spoke to the editor in the booth, she picked this collection out as one to look forward to... and the cover alone has me drooling with anticipation.

The Happiest People in the World, by Brock Clarke (Algonquin, November 4th): I read (and loved) Clarke's novel Exley, and may be one of the only people in the world to not have read An Arsonist's Guide to Homes in New England (yet). But regardless, I'm stoked for his newest (even though I have no idea what it's about).

The Accidental Highwayman, by Ben Tripp (Tor Teen, October 14th): I didn't realize this was YA when I first picked it up; I was just drawn to the cover and the artwork. The publisher billed it as the perfect read for fans of The Princess Bride, a book I haven't read but a movie I've seen so many times that I can recite almost the entire thing word-for-word. So. Sign me up, Mr. Tripp, and let's hope it's an awesome ride.

The Cold Song, by Linn Ullmann (Other Press, on sale now): When I worked in publishing and exhibited at BEA, I often found my booth close to the Other Press booth--which means I know it's one of my must-visit spots at the show each year. The Cold Song is a work in translation, which I always find interesting, and promises "an unconventional narrative." Yes, please.

Horrorstor, by Grady Hendrix (Quirk Books, September 23rd, not pictured above): Leave it to Quirk to come up with one of the--ahem--quirkiest titles at Book Expo. Horrorstor looks like an Ikea catalog, through and through. That's no accident: it's a horror story set in an Ikea-like palace of furniture, complete with umlauts and unpronounceable words. I had the opportunity to meet Grady at the show, and based on that meeting and the book's cover, I'm already sure this will be an absolute ride.

4 comments

  1. I couldn't resist the Other Press booth, either - they have great books and their booth is so nice! I had my eye on The Hormone Factory and was able to get it. I'm absolutely in love with the cover for The Wilds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I leave that booth every year with some new title I hadn't previously heard of, but ultimately love: Mr. Toppit, The Danger of Proximal Alphabets, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats... hoping this one is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with your restraint! Only 10 books. I haven't heard of any of the books you picked up so I'm glad they are now on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up mostly things I hadn't heard of, or new releases from authors I already love. I figured the rest I can request digitally if I really want them... I am TRYING to curb the incoming flood of books in my house!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!