Thoughts: An Untamed State, by Roxane Gay

I read Roxane Gay's An Untamed State last month with little to no idea what I was getting into. I only knew the basic premise: a woman is kidnapped in Nigeria and held for ransom. Turns out, An Untamed State is so much more than that--it is the story of this woman's gruesome, terrifying, horrific 13 days in captivity, followed by an equally relentless and cruelly honest account of her attempts to rebuild her life upon release.

Gay shies away from nothing: beating, rape, torture, grief, depression, survival. She reveals with beauty and honesty the depths of human cruelty, but also our ability to overcome the most unimaginable of situations. She explores what happens when we are pushed beyond the limits of our emotional and physical boundaries, and what lengths we will go to to retain our sense of self.

An Untamed State is horrible. It is beautiful. It is one of the most powerful books I've read in years. It graces the list of the best books I read in May, as well as the best books I've read so far this year. It's a book I think everyone should read, though I wish we lived in a world in which no one should have to.

If you've read this, I'd love to hear what you thought. If not, is it something you think you'll pick up?

---

An Untamed State | Roxane Gay | Grove Press, Black Cat | May 2014 | 368 pages

16 comments

  1. It was incredibly powerful. I really like how Gay treated the aftermath of her captivity. PTSD is real and she portrayed it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed--the post-captivity portion was just as difficult to read as the captivity itself. Gay did an incredible job depicting how hard things were for Mireille post-release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you on your last statement that you wish we didn't have to, but I really do hope that so many people pick this one up. I have a feeling it's definitely going to remain in my top list through the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt I will read this one. Too much for me to deal with. Burying my head in the sand I know but thats it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited to try this one, but I'm currently reading Ruby, by Cynthia Bond, and it is FULL of unflinching terribleness. I may need to take a break before I start this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the feeling--I'd be surprised if anything moved this off my top list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fair--you don't have to read everything (or anything you don't want to!). And it is a lot to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something light and fluffy in between may help you maintain some sense of sanity. I haven't read Ruby but I've heard it's pretty intense (and An Untamed State is the same way).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices! I really need to move into book five and keep the momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm only up to book 4 so you are beating me! I've been listening on audio, and while they are very well done, it does take quite a while to get through a 30+ page audiobook.


    May download some on my Nook before I hit the beach this summer, though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't read it but based on your review and some others I've read it's on my TBR list. when? Who knows- I'm still slogging through June/July reads!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started this in galley form but it expired before I finished it. I recently bought a copy, so I am going to get back to it soon. The part I did read was harrowing and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate when that happens! "Harrowing and beautifully written" is an excellent description, though, and that carries through the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been seeing this reviewed on some of the blogs I read regularly, definitely sound like a nice read. I passed up on the book, but now I wished I read it. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!