BEA Buzz Books

I posted last week about some newly discovered titles I brought home from BEA, but that was only half of my (admittedly relatively small) stack of galley grabs at the show. The rest of my list consisted of books I'd already been eyeing--and, though I went into the show with little to no agenda, hoped to score while there. I didn't manage to snag a copy of the new Marilynne Robinson book, Lila, from FSG (seriously, people, what do I need to do to get an ARC of this book? I will give you my firstborn if that's what it takes).


So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures, by Maureen Corrigan (Little, Brown, September 9th): I read (and loved) Maureen Corrigan's earlier book, Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading (how could you not with a title like that?), and I'm a huge Gatsby fan. So a book about the power of Gatsby and why it has lasted as long as it has in our imaginations? No way I'm missing that one.

The Paying Guests, by Sarah Waters (Riverhead, Sept 16th): Sarah Waters! Sarah Waters! And a big, chunky work of historical fiction set in 1920s London, at that.

The Magician's Land, by Lev Grossman (Viking, August 5th): The third in the Magicians trilogy, after The Magicians and The Magician King. My only concern is that I'll have to go back and re-read the first two to refresh my memory... and there's a long waiting list for them at the library (my copies are in storage).

Belzhar, by Meg Wolitzer (Dutton, September 30th): The only book of Wolitzer's I've read to date is The Interestings--and while I wasn't quite as enamored of this book as so many others, I did fall in love with Wolitzer's writing. She's quickly becoming one of those I'll-read-anything-you-write authors (a la Mary Roach), so while I don't know much about this book, I'm still super-excited.

Men We Reaped, Jesmyn War (Thorndike, available now): The only non-ARC I brought home, after having the chance to meet Ward at the show. I may be the last person in the world to read this book, but I've heard SO many good things, I couldn't pass it up.

Which 2014 buzz books are you most excited to read?


6 comments

  1. I'm so pumped about the Sarah Waters. I'm hoping to see her at the Edinburgh Book Fest in August and would love to have read the book first. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SARAH WATERS! Ahhh. I am uber jealous. I've wanted to go to BEA for ages and can finally do so when it makes its way to Chicago. Woot! Maybe you'll be attending as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SARAH WATERS ALL THE TIME OH GOD I AM SO EXCITED.

    Ahem.

    Seriously, I am really really excited for Sarah Waters's new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure yet but I hope to! New York is easy for me because it's not an expensive train ride (or drive), and my SIL lives there so I have a built-in place to stay. BUT I'm hoping I can make Chicago work when the show moves there, especially because I've never really been to Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaah you get to see her in actual person!? Jealous. HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!