Week in Reading: April 11

It's Tax Week! Which is far less exciting than all of the incredible, amazing, awesome books I read over the weekend, and the delicious stack I have lined up for this week.


Our Endless Numbered Days was just as impressive, beautiful, and thoughtful as all the reviews I read implied it would be. Full review to come; I'm still mulling over how to talk about how much I loved this book.

Look for a Twitter conversation with the author, Claire Fuller, and The Socratic Salon, tonight at 7PM EST (using hashtag #TSSEndless), and more conversation on The Socratic Salon later this week. 

Also excellent was Hammer Head: The Making of a Carpenter, which I'll be reviewing this week.

I started Mayumi and the Sea of Happiness this weekend (out May 24th from Europa), and of course read some more of Cloud Atlas for the #CloudAtlasAlong.

And on my headphones: I'm taking a temporary break from Drums of Autumn because my hold on Yes Please by Amy Poehler finally came in. Of course, I love it so far, because basically I love all things Amy Poehler, and because I am currently obsessed with all things Parks & Rec (I know, I'm way late to this party, but guys, I cried real tears when Leslie made her city councilwoman speech).

---

What are you reading this week? Listening to?



13 comments

  1. I have yet to jump on Parks & Rec band wagon - I've seen episodes here and there, and laughed a lot, obvi. I've had a hard time committing to television lately.... Looking forward to your thoughts on Cloud Atlas this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way late to the Parks & Rec party, but I am in major television love. (I'm not a big TV watcher, but when I get into a show, I go all in--it's really bad for my sleeping patterns...) I didn't love the first season of Parks & Rec, but once they found their footing in Season 2, I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pretty impressive that you read enough to have WEEKLY recaps! I keep meaning to jump on the Parks & Rec bandwagon, but so much to watch, so little time. I'm reading 'What Alice Forgot' for book club tomorrow night and quite enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! To be fair, many books grace the weekly recaps week after week. Drums of Autumn will likely be in here for MONTHS (it is 45 hours on audio...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I've yet to see anything less than glowing written about OEND. I'm glad it lived up to the hype. :) It's waiting patiently on my Kindle for me to finish ANY of my current reads, oy.

    I'm out sick today, so hopefully I'll make some dents. I've been neglecting the #CloudAtlasAlong in particular...

    I'm with you on P&R, I *still* haven't arrived to the party despite it seeming right up my alley.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Monocacy Battlefield. I live about 30 minutes south of there so we visit every once in a while. Did you know that it has a literary connection? General Lew Wallace, who held off confederate troops long enough for Grant to bring reinforcements for the defense of Washington, wrote "Ben Hur".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha - I'm late to the Yes, Please party as well and am listening to it on audio as we speak! Funny. Ive heard so many great things about Our Endless Numbered Days and have stopped reading reviews until I get to it, which I'm planning to do soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks positively gorgeous! I need more walking trails in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so lovely there! I had no idea about the literary connection, either. Now I love it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're lucky that we are only 5-10 minutes away from this and lots of other trail options, should we want to get out of the "city" (which is really more like a town).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Argh, everyone's making me want to read Our Endless Numbered Days, after I had already decided I wasn't interested! Curse you bloggers and your ability to make things sound appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just for the record, Jenny. I agree! I'm in the same boat... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completed Growin' Up White by Dwight Ritter (one of the best books I've ever read...review to come), The Precious One by Marisa de los Santos (I've decided one of the things I love most about her writing is that it is so gentle and subtle while tackling intense issues/relationships--review also to come), and am almost finished with Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon (I love the perspective of this book!), then on to The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward and The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand by Elizabeth Berg. I get to meet all these authors, as well as Jane Green, this Thursday and Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!