Week in Reading: April 6th


I know it snowed in some parts of the East Coast yesterday, but for us Maryland-ers, spring has officially sprung. I slept with the windows open this weekend and finally stopped making weather-related excuses and strapped on my running shoes for my first runs in over 18 months. Damn, it felt good to get moving again.

Per my Bloggiesta to-do list (and for my own personal sanity), I'm doing a better job of staying on top of my review deadlines so as not to burn myself out reading right up until the day something is due. With that in mind, I finished Re Jane this weekend, a modern re-telling of the classic Jane Eyre story (wherein Jane is a Korean-American immigrant struggling to find where she fits in). Some of it felt forced, but mostly, it worked. Review of this to come in a May issue of Shelf Awareness. I'm also reading Little Black Lies in anticipation of an interview with the author this week.

And speaking of mysteries, I get a chance to talk to Mystery Writers of America's VP, Donna Andrews, later this week, about the MWA's 75th anniversary. Anyone have any pressing questions on the state of mystery writing I should pass along?

In the galley stack this week, I'm picking up Mayumi and the Sea of Happiness, by Jennifer Tseng (out May 26th from Europa Editions), and finally getting to Our Endless Numbered Days (in time for the Socratic Salon discussion later this week). And of course I'm continuing to truck along with Cloud Atlas for the #CloudAtlasAlong (spoilers: I'm loving the book so far).

Lastly, on my headphones: I'm making the leap and starting Drums of Autumn, the 4th volume of Gabaldon's Outlander series. 45 hours long. See you on the flip side.

---

What's everyone else reading (and/or listening to) this week?

---


6 comments

  1. I'm still working on getting those running shoes on... I *did* go on a crazy-long hike yesterday, so I'm making progress. :)

    Can't wait to see what you think about Our Endless Numbered Days. I've seen nothing but glowing reviews!

    Also, godspeed on that audio book. That sounds like a good fallback activity during Dewey's readathon (which I hope you're doing!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying not having to layer up like an eskimo to go running these days! And - I'm planning to read Our Endless Numbered Days, but I doubt I'll get to it before the Socratic Salon's discussion :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm intrigued by Mayumi and the Sea of Happiness! Hope you enjoy Our Endless Numbered Days -- I'm excited for the discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually going to have to purchase a copy of Our Endless Numbered Days...just too many people whose opinion I respect have absolutely loved this book! :) Hmmm...haven't read any Sharon Bolton. Have read Jane Green's Saving Grace, am now completing Dwight Ritter's Growin' Up White, which is a great read! The on the The Precious One by Marisa de los Santos. Fortunately, I'll be meeting all three of these authors this next week, along with three others! Cannot wait!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely doing readathon! And I'll certainly have this on my earphones for the in-between-reading times (even on Readathon days, the shoes don't run themselves, the dog doesn't walk himself, and the dishes certainly don't wash themselves!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't gone running in like a month. I need to do that. Thanks for the reminder :)


    I just started listening to Anna Karenina. Three hours in (out of 30) and so far, so good! The narrator is a middle aged British lady and she's doing a nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!