Looking Back: March Reading & Writing

I hit a bit of a reading slump at the beginning of March (and definitely a blogging slump), but some excellent reads towards the end of the month have picked things back up for me. Some of the best books I read in March:
best books I read in March 2015: Saga, Vol 4; Sex Criminals, Vol 1; Just like us, by Helen Thorpe; The Bullet, by Mary Louise Kelly; Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie; The Summer Prince, by Alaya Dawn Johnson


The Bullet, by Mary Louise Kelly: Ok, I read this in February, but it published in March (which absolutely counts). This is a fast-paced, unexpected novel of suspense centered on the very odd but entirely believable premise of a woman who discovers that she has a bullet in her neck--and that it has been there for almost her entire life.

Sex Criminals, Vol 1, by Matt Fraction: I'd heard so many good things about this from the folks over at Book Riot and Hey Panels, and I finally scored a copy at the local used bookstore in town. Oh my god, you guys. Smart, sexy, and fun. I need to get my hands on Volume 2.

Saga, Vol 4, by Brian K. Vaughan: Continuing the unsurprising trend of loving Vaughan's work (and Fiona Staples' illustrations), and falling more and more in love with graphic novels by the day.

Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie: I've had Americanah on my shelf for over a year, but picked this up for a (new-to-me) book club at Curious Iguana here in town. Adichie is one hell of a writer, and I learned so much from this book that I really can't say enough good things. Americanah is now even higher on my already overwhelmingly long list.

Just Like Us, by Helen Thorpe: Thorpe's account of four Mexican girls growing up in the United States (two with legal status and two without) is long but easy to read, and though she wrote the book in 2009, the subject is just as relevant today.

The Summer Prince, by Alaya Dawn Johnson: The first book in my Paperback to the Future subscription, and something I'd never heard of in a genre (YA fantasy) I rarely read. It took me some time to get into Johnson's worldbuilding, but once I was there, I was hooked.

The Fishermen, by Chigozie Obioma; Under the Bus by Caroline Frederickson; One Nation Under God by Kevin Kruse; Orhan's Inheritance by Aline Ohanesian; Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova

I read a lot of other books in March, but almost all of them were April galleys, so stay tuned for thoughts on these in the coming weeks, all of which I enjoyed for very different reasons: The Fishermen, by Chogozie Obioma; Under the Bus, by Caroline Frederickson; One Nation Under God, by Kevin Kruse; Orhan's Inheritance, by Aline Ohanesian; and Inside the O'Briens, by Lisa Genova.

---

So far this year, I've read:


  • 9 books for the Book Riot Read Harder challenge (including two in-progress reads)
  • 2 books for my 2015 TBR Challenge
  • Not a single book written before 1900 (and only 3 published before 2000)

Of the 40 books I've picked up so far this year:

  • I've finished 28; 4 are DNFs and the rest are still in-progress in some capacity
  • 25% are authored by non-US authors
  • 25% are authored by non-white authors
  • 57% have been by female authors
---

Other March activity (here and elsewhere):


---

What were the best things you read in March?

13 comments

  1. What a great month! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Fishermen; I've been hearing good things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hear your thoughts as well, so get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I hit a hard book slump in March and only read five books, and only the first two were great. I'm tied between Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson and Church of Marvels by Leslie Parry for my favorite book of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sampled The Bullet last night, was pulled in immediately, and bought it. Have to finish a couple other galleys before I can dive in for real, but am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the blog design! And I'm thrilled you liked Sex Criminals -- isn't it charming? I love the scene in the bar where Suzie's doing karaoke and they can't get the rights to the song lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stats!

    I've read Americanah, but I want to read more of Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie's backlist titles. I'm glad you enjoyed that one! AND I really want to try out The Summer Prince, maybe I'll get that on my Kindle soon. It seems like it'd be a good outside-reading kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I embarrassed by how long Half of a Yellow Sun has been on my shelf. I need to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, The Bullet picks up pretty much from the start--no easing into the story there. Hope you enjoy it! I don't usually read thrillers/mysteries, but for a select few, but this one hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard so many good things about Just Mercy, and can't wait to get to it. Might wait for paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I wanted to keep it simple and I think this does it.


    I LOVE Sex Criminals. Can't wait to get the second volumn. So much cleverness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I haven't read Americanah (yet) but I loved Half of a Yellow Sun, and I liked We Should All Be Feminists as well (a short based on her TED talk). The Summer Prince wasn't what I expected, and I did have some issues with it, but overall, it sucked me in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!