Whodunit, Whydunit, Howdunit: Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad Series


I love a good mystery, but I can be picky in what I read within the genre. Tana French is one of the authors I will unfailingly pick up: I've fallen for her slow, deliberate pacing that startles you with its occasional abruptness; for the ways that her stories explore the very human--and therefore all the more shocking--sides of crime; for the distinctively Irish voice that each of her stories takes on and represents; for her skill in picking up a secondary or even tertiary character in one novel and making him or her the star of the next.


More than that, though, I love how she crafts stories full of unendingly strange occurrences and coincidences (a detective that looks so much like a murder victim that she can go undercover as that victim; a cop whose past involvement as the victim of a crime never manages to find its way onto his record, so he isn't assigned to investigate any related activities; a murder squad pro with a slightly deranged and entirely secret-from-the-force younger sister) and manages never to make her stories about their strangenesses. They are instead stories about human relationships and the way crime factors into the human experience, which, though we might like to pretend it isn't so, is part of the world we live in.

Though each of the novels in The Dublin Murder Squad series is, at its heart, a whodunit, these are not mysteries of serial killers and high-speed chases, terrorists and automatic weapons. They are instead a combination of "whodunits" and "whydunits" and "how-the-dunits-change-us". French explores the pasts and unlived futures of her novels' victims; the non-police lives of her police characters; the ways a crime can impact a neighborhood and the ways a neighborhood can impact a crime. In The Likeness, she explores bonds of friendship--bonds that are strong too such a point that they are almost too strong. In Faithful Place and Broken Harbour, she explores how our families can make us stronger or make us weaker--but ultimately make us who we are. Memory and history are central to In the Woods.

I've put off starting Secret Place, saving it for an as-yet-unidentified road trip or travel (I've listened to all of the Dublin Murder Squad series on audio, and can't recommend them enough if you're an audiobook person). I believe French is still writing the series, so this won't necessarily be the end, but I can't seem to get enough of the way she combines captivating and compelling storylines with interesting and subtle reflections on human psychology.


Once I've finished that last available novel, does anyone have any suggestions of what other mysteries I should be picking up?




15 comments

  1. I read the first two books 4 years ago on my honeymoon, and for one reason or another haven't continued. It's excellent to know they are great on audio, so that might be the way I "read" the next one(s). This makes me want to get to it sooner rather than later, as I was completely engrossed in the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. French is one of my absolute favorite writers, though Broken Harbor was my least favorite and I own The Secret Place but have yet to read it. I love how she makes each book so very different! There is no set pattern to her writing, at least that's how it seems to me. As for other mystery writers: if you haven't read Sue Grafton's Milhone series, I think you might really enjoy it! Grafton also does a good job of making each book upredictable and different. I feel the first one, A is for Alibi, is a great introduction and would help you determine whether you like her writing style/characterization or not. I love mysteries and there are other authors I would definitely recommend in this genre, but for me, Grafton is much like French in making each book unique, etc. Glad to know someone else really appreciates her books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was your favorite Tana French of them all? I read The Secret Place last summer and had a hard time getting into it for the first 300 pages, but loved the back half of the book. I'd be interested in giving her another shot. And, I agree that she puts more than just whodunit into her whodunits. With Secret Place, I loved the whole exploration of high school friendship and social dynamics...especially at a boarding school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series so much. I've read all but The Secret Place. Like you, I've been irrationally saving it because it's my last one of the series. I will say, regarding Lynn's comment, that I enjoy Grafton's novels, but I don't think they're in the same class. I savor French's novels, while Grafton's are lighter palette cleansers for me... if that makes any sense. I do love Kate Morton's mysteries because they have a great gothic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know she's not officially "done" the series, but I just like having one more in my back pocket! I'll have to check out Kate Morton--I like the sound of "great gothic feel."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I don't know if I can pick one. Maybe Faithful Place, though. There was something about the main detective in that story that worked for me (not that the others didn't).


    I haven't read Secret Place yet, but I'm excited to see Tana French tackle high school. She covers college (er... uni) in The Likeness, but as we all know, high school is a totally different beast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Broken Harbour, but not compared to the rest of them, if that makes sense. There was something off about the story, though I loved how French captured that upswing of Irish economic development and the collapse that followed, and the very personal impact that had on so many people.


    I've read a few of Grafton's books, but all the way back in high school, I think. May have to dig them out to see if I remember which ones I've even read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the things I love about these as a series is that there's no urgency to read the next one--it's not a linear plot, and though there are character references to the earlier books, each book stands completely on its own, so there's no danger in forgetting what happens or losing the thread if you take a break between them all.


    The audio is really wonderful--I've listened to three out of the four, and wish I had listened to In the Woods as well. Each has a different narrator, but they've been incredibly well cast and well directed; the voices in each story just click.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know I won't need much of a recap. I'm definitely sold on the audio, so thanks for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tana French! I think In the Woods, The Likeness, and Secret Place are tied for my favorites. I devoured Secret Place last year and it does live up to the hype.

    I'd recommend Jennifer McMahon, especially The Winter People (her latest), Don't Breathe a Word, and Dismantled. They capture some of the mythic, supernatural elements that French also incorporates in In the Woods and Broken Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so embarrassed to admit this but I received an ARC of The Secret Place and haven't read it yet! It's completely unacceptable considering the fact that I freaked out when I saw it available on Netgalley. I remember reading the first chapter and just not feeling in sync with it like I did with the others. Faithful Place is still one of my favorite books ever (I convinced Justin to listen to that one on audio and he loved it!). I'm interested to see what you think!

    I think we discussed this already, but Kate Atkinson's Case Histories is very similar to Faithful Place, so give that a go if you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this will be my favourite series this year. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We can be embarrassed together because I had an ARC from BEA last year (miracle of miracles) and am just now getting to it (and on audio, not the ARC). It took a little longer for me to get into this one than some of the others--maybe adjusting to boarding school/high school life?--but now that I'm a few chapters in, I'm just as hooked as always. Wondering if Det. Mackey (spelling? Downside of audio--not a clue how these characters' names are spelled) will make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Thanks for the recs. Will add McMahon to my list after I finish The Secret Place (which I started this weekend on audio, and, no surprises, am loving so far).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!