BBAW: The Books that Book Bloggers Recommend

It's Book Blogger Appreciation Week! Hosted by AnaJennyHeather, and Andi, the week is designed to "celebrate the hard work, dedication, and love we all put into this adventure we call book blogging." Check back throughout the week for posts on the joys of blogging, discovering other bloggers, and more!



Today's prompt is all about book recommendations... the books we've read (or, in the case of some of the below, plan to read) because other bloggers have pushed them in our hands and the books we've pushed into others' hands.

11 books blogger recommend, and two i won't stop talking about


(Where titles are linked below, links will go to the original blogger/review that recommended the book.)

Favorite Reads of 2015 Pitched to Me by Other Bloggers:


The Shore, by Sara Taylor (recommended by Shannon of River City Reading): The description of this book didn't move my needle, but Shannon's gushing over it had me scrambling to get to my copy. It didn't disappoint.

Our Endless Numbered Days, by Claire Fuller (recommended by Stephanie of Bella's Bookshelves): Stephanie always writes thoughtful, detailed reviews -- and her review of Our Endless Numbered Days was no exception. Combine that with the fact that I love the Decemberists song from which the book takes its name, and I was immediately hooked. This wound up being one of my favorite books of 2015.

Did You Ever Have a Family, by Bill Clegg (recommended by Charlie of herewearegoing): I met Charlie on Twitter because we live in the same town and frequent the same bookstore, and Twitter has a way of bringing people like us together. Charlie (and the owner of the local bookstore, Marlene) were both head-over-heels for this book, so I picked it up despite my hesitation over all the hype and buzz around it. It was also one of my favorites of 2015... so thanks, Charlie, for the much-needed push to pick this up.

Getting Things Done, by David Allen (recommended by most of the staff at Book Riot, it seems to me): I don't remember exactly when I first heard about this book, but I know I've seen it mentioned time and time again on Book Riot's site and in their various podcasts. When I finally got around to reading it, I understood why: though much of Allen's approach is common sense, it was really something to see it all distilled in one place like this. I'm due for a re-read of the new edition of Getting Things Done myself (updated to remove references to Palm Pilots and other outdated technology...).

Citizen, by Claudia Rankine (recommended by oh, everyone I follow): I don't remember which blogger recommended this one first, but enough piled on that this book immediately became a must-read for me. And it didn't disappoint; Rankine's prose is powerful and moving, and the book as a whole is important.

Books On my TBR Because of Other Bloggers:


How to Live: Or a Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Answers, by Sarah Blakewell (recommended by Shaina of Shaina Reads): I'm not sure that Shaina ever formally reviewed this book, but her love of Montaigne (his essays, Blakewell's book) is what kept this particular tome on my shelf. I've also got plans to spend my credit at the used bookstore on Montaigne's massive essay collection, so... thanks, Shaina.

Pretty Much Everything Jonathan Kozol Ever Wrote (recommended by Cass): In a recent conversation about Evicted (a March release that everyone should read no really go pre-order it), Cass recommended one of Kozol's works... and then all of them. I immediately ordered three of his backlist titles and can't wait to dig in.

Mr. Splitfoot, by Samantha Hunt (recommended by Andi at Estella's Revenge): Andi's gushing over this book moved it right to the top of my TBR (where of course it's lingered as other reading deadlines push it aside). I still can't wait to get to it.

10% Happier, by Dan Harris (recommended by Emily of Books, the Universe, and Everything): I normally would have glossed over this book as a little too fluffy, a little too self-help-y. But Emily pitched it as a good book for anyone who's ever tried a daily meditation practice and failed--but isn't quite ready to give up on the idea of it. Which is me in a nutshell. Emily has a lot of really smart things to say about productivity and habits and happiness, so I give her recommendation extra weight in this category.

Books I Won't Stop Recommending to Anyone and Everyone,

or,

I Will Not Write a BBAW Post Without Recommending The Dead Ladies Project


The Dead Ladies Project, by Jessa Crispin: I've recommended this book so many times I can't even count them anymore. I reviewed it in Shelf Awareness and on my blog; I gave away a copy for my blogiversary; I stood on rooftops and shouted about it in books-that-introduce-me posts and year-end posts and best-of posts and books-that-blew-my-mind posts. Really, read this book! (Emily and Heather both did and they agree!)

The Food Lab, by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt: The first cookbook I read cover-to-cover. The cookbook I recommend to anyone with a passing interest in food-related topics, be they expert chefs or brand-new-cooks. Lopez-Alt takes an approach to recipes that is more education and less how-to, meaning his recipes can be adapted and adjusted to allow for creativity and comfort in the kitchen. (Here's a very long explanation of why you should read it, and my interview with J. Kenji Lopez-Alt; or, for the tl;dr version, a much shorter explanation of why you should read this). 

---

What books have you read because bloggers recommended them to you? What books do you constantly push into the hands of other readers?

---

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!