Indie Thursday: Moar Hemingway!

This month marks the one-year anniversary of Indie Thursday - a weekly Twitter event that celebrates Indie bookstores on - you guessed it - Thursdays. The event was started by Jenn of Jenn's Bookshelves last year to help readers everywhere truly embrace their local, independent bookstores. To participate, simply tweet about a recent purchase at your indie bookstore using the hashtag #indiethursday. Oh, and also follow @IndieThursday on le Twitter.


Today, I ducked over to The Annapolis Bookstore for a quick lunch-time jaunt and stumbled into this lovely collection of Hemingway's short stories. I'm about halfway through A Farewell to Arms as I write this, which will be the fourth book I've read in my ever-more-doomed-sounding attempt to read everything Hemingway has written before my 26th birthday -- looks like these short stories may be my fifth.

6 comments

  1. What a great find. I don't think I have ever read any of his short stories. Enjoy!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either, but I was excited to find a nice edition of them (and for a great price, too). I love used bookstores!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, great copy! I was a fan first of his short stories, so I hope you enjoy them. He's truly a master, in my opinion, along with John Cheever, Andre Dubus, and Raymond Carver. Even though they're from different time periods, their prose reads similarly to me. It's partly why I rarely read short stories these days. Those guys are so good, everything else pales in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I've read none of those authors! I've always struggled with short stories, but maybe it's just because I haven't read the right collection(s) yet.

      Delete
  3. Jealous of this find! I hope you love them, too. I'm with Picky: Hemingway, Carver, and Cheever are three of my very favourites. I have a few, but yes. Hemingway's shorts are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pretty excited about it. The Annapolis Bookstore is an AWESOME place for bizarre and hard-to-find editions of books. Not all of them are valuable/collectible (though they have those too), but I love used books regardless. They have more stories to tell, I think.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!