The Problems of Proximity

I have six bookcases in my living room. Plus a grandfather clock with shelves that hold vintage copies of my favorite titles, and a few first editions (James Michener's Chesapeake, for one). Plus stacks of books on my windowsill in the staircase, and a bookshelf  in my bedroom.

Oh, and one in the office. And some teetering piles of books on the floor under the living room window.

So basically, they're everywhere. When I watch television (rarely, but more so in these weeks of the Olympics), I see my Irish history and literature books on the left, and I constantly remind myself that I want to read At Swim Two Birds sooner than later. And to the right are the classics, with that daunting copy of War and Peace staring at me, calling, "only 15 more months!"

I have one main bookcase dedicated to modern fiction, with mass market paperbacks (mostly fantasy) at the top, and then general fiction below, alpha by author:


As I scroll through my list of books read in 2012, I'm realizing more and more that I've started to continually draw books from the most visible shelves: those by the television that I see from the couch, and those at eye-level when I browse the other bookcases.

Of the fiction titles I've selected from my shelves to read this year, over 75% were written by authors that fall before M in the alphabet. Michael Chabon, Neil Gaiman, Chang-Rae Lee, Chris Cleave. Exactly none fall after S.

I consider myself a fairly well-rounded reader; I am not completely bound to books I already own. I've read a handful of newly-purchased-and-never-even-made-it-to-the-shelf books this year, and several non-fiction titles (which are organized by subject on my shelves, not author name). But when I put review commitments aside and just browse my shelves for my next read, I find that proximity plays as much a part in that decision as the book itself. The ones I see most clearly are the ones I read most often.

Does this happen to anyone else? Are there certain books you see more often - because of their height on the shelf, or perhaps a long-time resting spot on the nightstand - that you find you are more likely to select as your next read? Or do you plan your next reads more deliberately than my turn-and-point-and-read system?

6 comments

  1. That is really interesting!!

    I don't find that, actually. I used to have six bookcases along one living room wall (I moved two to make room for a piano) and then there are two smaller ones also in the living room, one built in and another against another wall. I do see those a lot, but I also have four in my office, where I spend much of my day, too. And there are two in the guest bedroom (the ones I moved), which have all my children's/YA books, except for a couple of series, which are in the living room. I long for a place where I can have all of my books in one room. I feel disjointed otherwise -- which causes me to roam the house. I like to browse, to visit my books wherever they are. So then, no! I don't only read the ones in close proximity or that I see most often, because I'm never browsing in one spot! :) I do have the case of review books in my office and I feel I need to pick from those first. But I also have a pile on my bedside table that come even before those (though that often changes).

    One might say I sound like a person with a problem. I say I'm pleasantly surrounded by reading potential. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with the books in one room vs. books all over the house decision - I figure even if I had all of the books in one room, I'd just end up with MORE shelves in my living spaces, as I don't know that I'd know how to decorate/what to do with a room without bookcases in it. But I do like to browse them all together, so splitting them up in separate rooms is tough, too.

      Plus when they are split into separate rooms I apparently give some more attention than others - which is never my intent!

      Delete
  2. PS. I LOVE that leather couch or chair in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a full couch - a hand-me-down from my dad, actually. And it's ABSURDLY comfortable. I just need to learn how to treat leather on furniture because it's starting to dry out.

      Delete
  3. Oddly enough, the books on the newer bookshelves get more love than the books on the older shelves...especially the oldest of the shelves that is relegated to the office. I hardly ever look at those books anymore. Maybe I need to rotate the books. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I've considered rotating my collection around just to see if it changes my reading patterns at all - let me know if you decide to and what, if any, changes it causes!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!